Denver, Colorado – Liberty Global plc published its 2012 Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report in September and announced its continued inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI), which tracks the performance of leading companies in terms of their economic, environmental, governance and social performance.
The 2012 CR report entitled ‘Discovering New Possibilities’ provides an overview of progress and achievements across Liberty Global during the year, and identifies some of the challenges that they have addressed along the way.
The report focuses on the most important CR issues as defined by the company and their key stakeholders. At the heart of the company’s CR strategy is the core belief that everyone should be able to explore the exciting but often complex digital world in a safe and responsible manner. Accordingly, their efforts are concentrated in four main areas:
- Promoting a digital society
- Building trust with the customers
- Managing the environmental impacts
- Being a responsible business
- The company’s engagement in numerous projects to tackle the challenge of digital inclusion, including helping underprivileged families access the internet, providing seniors the skills they need to get online through programs like Internet Buttons, helping children discover science and innovation opportunities through the online Tech School platform.
- Liberty Global sponsored Safer Internet Day for the seventh consecutive year and launched “Who are your kids talking to?” – an animation which helps parents understand the many challenges that their children are facing online.
- Liberty Global’s community investment totaled $ 10 million in 2012, a 26% increase compared to the prior year. Most of those funds were focused on promoting a digital society, education and young people.
- The company embarked on Privacy by Design, a process that helps to ensure that privacy risks are taken into account at the design stage of every project. They also created a Global Information Security Forum to build a common information security framework and approach across the businesses.
- The company is implementing a robust approach to assess the environmental and social performance of its suppliers worldwide.
The 2012 CR report meets the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3.1 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines at a GRI-checked Level B. This report represents a step up in disclosure from their first CR Report in 2011, which was a Level C report. GRI is an international non-profit organization that provides a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework that is widely used around the world.
Rick Westerman, Chairman of Liberty Global’s Corporate Responsibility Committee, said, “Our new CR report reflects our desire to pursue a sustainable approach to the expansion of digital markets and inclusive access, while responsibly serving the communities in which we operate. However, we know that unlocking economic, societal and environmental value cannot happen in isolation. All our futures – as corporate and individual citizens, as community members and contributors to society – are intrinsic to one another.”
“While we have plenty of work ahead to continue advancing our CR initiatives, we are proud to be included in the highly respected Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the second consecutive year in recognition of our achievements.”
Check the following link to read/download Liberty Global’s 2012 CR Report:
Source: Liberty Global.
About Liberty Global
Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) is the largest international cable company with operations in 14 countries. The company connects people to the digital world and enables them to discover and experience its endless possibilities. Their market-leading triple-play services are provided through next-generation networks and innovative technology platforms that connected 24 million customers subscribing to 48 million television, broadband internet and telephony services at June 30, 2013. Liberty Global’s consumer brands include Virgin Media, UPC, Unitymedia, Kabel BW, Telenet and VTR. The operations also include Chellomedia, the content division, Liberty Global Business Services, the commercial division and Liberty Global Ventures, the investment fund. For more information, please visit www.libertyglobal.com.