Houston – Sysco Corporation (NYSE:SYY) launched its sixth annual and most-comprehensive-to-date sustainability report on January 31, which focuses on the company’s economic, environmental and social responsibility performance during Fiscal Year 2012 (FY12).
The report, titled “Good Things Are Our Greatest Responsibility”, outlines Sysco’s strategic approach to sustainability, including its guiding principles and three focus areas of Food, Operations and Community.
Performance highlights from the 2012 report include:
- Since 2006, overall energy usage in company warehouses decreased by 19 percent, despite warehouse volumes increasing 18 percent.
- Continued fleet improvements by adding 55 low-emission liquid natural gas trucks to the company fleet in FY12, bringing the total to 165; and since 2010, purchased more than 2,300 new trucks with low-emission engines.
- Improved load fill rate of trucks carrying product to Sysco by 180 pounds per truck in FY12, resulting in 1,400 fewer trucks on the road, compared with the prior year.
- Suppliers in Sysco’s Integrated Pest Management Program reported conserving more than 700 million gallons of water in the 2011 growing season.
- Reduced recordable injuries at U.S. Sysco locations by 26 percent between FY08–FY12.
“Sysco has an established track record of balancing its business needs with stakeholder interests, and we are working to further integrate sustainability into our long-term business strategy,” said Bill DeLaney, Sysco’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “We remain committed to continually improving the way we do business, while helping our customers to improve theirs, and working to make our communities stronger.”
Sysco’s complete 2012 sustainability report is available online and can be found on company website. The report and various interactive features and content will be available soon in a new app as well, providing ready access to information for mobile-device users. The app will be available in February for download from the iTunes App Store and Google Play Market.
Sysco is the global leader in selling, marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, lodging establishments and other customers who prepare meals away from home. Its family of products also includes equipment and supplies for the food-service and hospitality industries. The company operates 177 distribution facilities serving approximately 400,000 customers. For Fiscal Year 2012 that ended June 30, 2012, the company generated record sales of more than $ 42 billion. For more information, visit www.sysco.com.